Sunday, July 28, 2013

Update on the Black plastic pumpkin patch of AWESOMENESS!!!

I got to visit the pumpkin patch we put in at the beginning of June, and I am always amazed at how unbelievably FAST pumpkins grow!  To put it in perspective, at the end of May, these plants were but wee seeds. 


June 27, they were little plants. 


July 27... well, they are taking over my friends yard,AND the neighbors yard.



  Remember, it took about an hour and a half to create this pumpkin patch.  My friend waters it every few days, but because it is on a drip system, all she needs to do is turn on the hose. We dug in manure, and sprinkled in organic slow release fertilizer, so there should be enough for our greedy pumpkins to eat, and they seem to be happy. 

Now I never like to count chickens before they hatch, but my guess is that this pumpkin patch will yield 25 pumpkins by the time it is all over... big ones little ones stripy ones.    We still have another month before the bite of Autumn begins to slow the growth of these plants.  Any one want to place any bets on the final number?

By the way, I also have a few pumpkin plants at my house, soooo  I have a feeling we will all be eating pumpkin well into the winter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment