Wednesday, July 24, 2013

How to plant peas..or other seeds for fall Harvest.

I know I know,  It is easy to plant seeds!...
except when it's not, and they don't come up, and you weed them because you can't remember what you planted in the first place... so i figured I would give a few tips to help get us from a packet of seeds in July, to a wok full of peas in September!

First, weed your area.  Get your bed all tidy and ready to go.  In my bed, I have some swiss chard and... well some... cucumbers?  I don't actually remember what I planted in 1/3 of the bed, but I do know that there are plenty of spaces for peas!!!  So I took my trusty hand held rake/hoe and picked all of the plants I can't eat (the weeds) to make a pretty bed.
Then I soaked the bed.  Soaked it.  Made it all muddy and stuff.  This will make it easier both to plant the seeds and to keep it wet.  The next week is going to be key!  It is going to be hard in the middle of the dry, hot summer to make sure you keep your little seeds moist, so start with a soaked base!



Then, I find a stick-type, planting tool.  I happen to have a piece of bamboo, but I have also used the backs of knives, a stick, a carrot, my finger, you get the idea.


Then make your holes for your seeds.  I find it is fastest to make the holes all at once and then drop the seeds in them.  The beauty of this is you can actually see the seeds you are planting



Cover them up, and then water again!

Then, find something to throw on the seeds.  I happen to have lots of tupperware lids, so I often use those.  Seeds don't need light for the first week or so, (or more) and it helps keep the water in and remind me to water EVERY DAY.

Until you see little pea plants, make sure your soil is wet every day :0)

Finally, Mark the plants with either the seed packet or with a sticky note in a mason jar.  I always tell myself I will remember where I planted what, but I never ever do.  I'm [pretty excited about this particular variety of peas, because they should be easy to spot and harvest on my way from work to the kitchen.. perhaps I will even make it in with enough for dinner :0)

Get your crops for fall and winter harvest planted now!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment