Friday, July 5, 2013

Time to fertilize the Tomatoes! Comfrey Tea!

Years ago, I was into planting all kinds of herbs in the herb spiral... not all of which I knew what to do with.  Comfrey was one of those plants.

Comfrey is a rockstar of a plant.  It grows quickly and can be a little invasive...

It tastes and smells like cucumbers, but is rather prickly, so while I guess you could put it in salads, I don't think you would like it...

But you know what comfrey is good  for?  Fertilizing tomatoes!  I used to just fill a big tupperware container with the leaves and fill that with water.  A week or so later, I would wander around the garden wondering what died.  Comfrey tea is ready when it smells the sewer.  If you like that smell, well,  leave an open container full of water and leaves...

But this year, I figured out a simpler, less smelly, way.

Take Juice container, and stuff with comfrey leaves.


Fill with water.
CAP!!!
Leave outside for about a week. (or until you remember you started it)
Hold your nose and pour around the tomatoes roots.

This year, I am trying a new variety of tomato called Hillbilly.  I am pretty excited that we might get 2 lb tomatoes, so I wanna keep them fertilized and happy!


I also want to avoid chemicals, and anything that costs money!  Cause I'm cheap!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment