Monday, June 24, 2013

Herb Spiral

Medieval Herb Spiral

I think herb spirals are awesome.They are so easy to make:

*a mound of dirt, big or small
*something to ring it, elevated or not
*something to make the spiral (preferably hard.  bricks or rocks or even logs)
*herbs of your choosing
*garden art.... or not

 I wanted to show off my spiral a little.  I kind of think that an herb spiral is among the most magical focal points in the garden (well in my garden.) because it can be so personal, We have planted only herbs that are are perennials (meaning they come back every year. ) 

The garden art I have hidden in the spiral is an old clarinet (because any music teacher will tell you that some instruments are better off in the garden than in student's hands! this one is really that bad!)  a statue of Gaia, and a Treble clef... along with some other things I'm sure I have forgotten about.

I have tried to plant my spiral with regard to directions. (although originally the idea was to create different micro climates...I have never really been able to accomplish that.)

In the North I have bright things.  Chives, salad burdet, golden oregano, and comfery.  All contrasting, all interesting to me.

In the West - which faces the gate and welcomes visitors
I have calamint, apple mint, sage, bee balm, and lemon verbena,  all things that smell good and are welcoming

In the south I have savories.  Welsh onion, Bay Leaves, Oregano, Winter Savory.  In my garden the south is shaded by the raspberry thicket, and so I think of it as the darkest area in the spiral.  I guess I wanted herbs that are good in warm stews to heat up the nights in the winter...

In the east, closest to the house I have planted lemon balm and lovage and sorrel.  Both are semi-invasive, and need to be tamed a couple of times a summer.  (meaning cut to the ground!)  They represent bounty and having more than one needs.

At the top of the spiral, I have Lavender and Sage.  Both cleansing and calming plants.  The lavender is especially special to me because I imagine my garden to be a place where one goes for calm and joy,  That plant does both of those things for me!  (And I love it in cookies!!!)

At the base, I have planted Corsica mint.  It is the same plant used in creme de menth.  It is lovely, and soft beneath your feet..

No comments:

Post a Comment