Saturday, March 21, 2009

I will never eat another regular apple again...

This morning, I found myself at the U-district farmers market. I am trying to eat more locally, and I figured that would be a good place to start. The farmers had potatoes,leeks, cabbage, parsnips, turnips, daffodils, and dairy products. These are all things that are in season now, and I prepared to get all of the things I would need to make veggie-shepherds pie.

Here was a surprise. They had apples. I asked the farmer (who's name I never caught) how they could sell apples. I know apples are not in season.

He told me that the apple I was ready to buy had been grown in November. Fuji apples are apparently grown because they have a long shelf life. The apples they are currently selling were picked in November. Imagine that... an apple that was about 5 months old.
I bought four.

After unloading a truckload of topsoil, I decided to put apples in water and make fruit water. I have to say, before today, I did not think I liked apples. I stand corrected.

These have got to be the sweetest, crunchiest most beautiful apples I have ever eaten, and I don't know if I will ever to look at another the same way.

Food really does taste better when it has been cared for.

No comments:

Post a Comment