Sunday, August 11, 2013

Blueberry Bars! So healthy! SO GOOD!

Ok, so credit where credit is due, this is not my recipe...I found it (along with a ton of other great stuff) here:http://sallysbakingaddiction.com

Dude, the woman is a genius!  Source cited.




 I have been thinking a lot about not only eliminating processed foods from my diet, but to a lesser degree sugar.   As I have been scanning recipes for Zucchini breads (or really any quick bread) I am beginning to realize that there is as much sugar as flour in them.  With those numbers, why bother baking?  Using up produce from the garden is great, but if you kill it with added sugar or cooking it to death, why not just ditch the whole thing and go to the bakery?  I'm not saying that I am against canning, jellys or anything of the sort... I'm just thinking that if I want to bake something to eat for breakfast, and I am honest with myself,  Zucchini bread in most recipes is like eating cake. 

So I tried these!  The original recipe calls for strawberries, but we happen to be in the middle of blueberry season, so I have blueberries.  My strawberries are safely tucked away in the freezer.  I made a couple of substitutions.  I had no almonds (she calls for the on the top) so I used flax seeds, and I haven't made apple butter in a long time, so I just used pumpkin puree.   The best part of this recipe?  No sugar!  Only 1/2 cup of Maple syrup!  The only suspect ingredient is corn starch... Corn starch just weirds me out, but it made the filling so good that I will ignore the voice nagging at me that says "But don't you have to process the hell out of corn to get it to give you its starch?"  I bought the organic corn starch, and ignored that voice. 

I have this colleague who I share a scone addiction with.  About 3 times a week, either he or I pick up scones at Two Tartes Bakery on the way to work.  It's not an addiction if you are eating alone right?
I day dream that I will make a bunch of these every month or so, throw them in the freezer and substitute at least one bad breakfast with this.  We will see.

Betcha it would work with any fruit that was in season!

No comments:

Post a Comment