Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Seed starting containers...



Let's talk about starter pellets, peat pots, milk cartons and the like... You know, the things you start your plants in.

In years past I have been all about the starter pellets.  They start out at about the size of a cracker, then you add water, and magic!  It grows.  They say they are biodegradable, but for the past couple of years I have found myself picking the stupid plastic clods out of my garden, and I have to say It's annoying. Also, I tend not to label my pellets, so I never know what is growing in the stupid things anyway.

 I have tried the peat pots, but there is some controversy about wether or not they are actually environmentally friendly... besides they get all gooey. A similar product is made from cow droppings, but I have not tried these yet because they are kind of expensive.

So this year, I am trying out "fiber grow" starter pots. They come in packs of 50 and 36.  For most of my seed starting, I will use the larger ones that have 36 per pack because most of my plants will grow for a couple of months before going outside, and I want to have the luxury of transplanting them into 4 inch pots when I feel like it, but for a few of my plants, I will use the smaller strips.  Onions and Leeks are these plants. They will have a smaller volume of roots than say a tomato plant, and they are more cold hardy, so they will get a start indoors, but then go outside by early April.

So let's talk about Flat #2 then shall we?

In this flat (50 count) I am starting Borrettana onions (25) I am super excited about these onions because they store well, and supposedly you can braid them.  Wouldn't it be cool to bring a braid of onions to say a housewarming party?

I am also starting 20 Italian Red Torpedo onions
20 American Flag Leeks (they take a long time to grow)
and
5 White bunching onions, for spring salads.




Flat #2 is all about onions.  I am using the smaller starter pots because

No comments:

Post a Comment